Monday, December 22, 2008

Women's Health Subscription



I also apologize for not posting near as much as I should. I'm hoping to get a camera soon and there will be an onslaught of pictures coming in then. *fingers crossed*

Life has unfolded very un-beautifully for us since we bought our house and I've been running like crazy trying to get things done.

Anyway, I decided last year to get a Women's Health subscription in hopes that it would be a positive influence in my life. I thought they would have some good ideas for keeping energy levels up (which is necessary when you have a toddler) and some fun recipes and good work out tips. As my year's subscription comes to a close, I have realized that I was sorely mistaken in my views of WH. Don't get me wrong, they have good tips on makeup and fashion and the occasional hint on how to spice up your "bedroom life" and some decent recipes. But aside from those (which are many in number but very few are actually helpful) the entire magazine is basically screaming "You look like crap! Go workout!" And then there are the success stories from women who write about how they used to look like you and they DISGUSTED THEMSELVES! So they jumped on the treadmill 3 times a week or quit eating out so much and now they are pretty and they love themselves because they don't look like YOU anymore! And you just sit there thinking, "I didn't think I looked that bad!" Each issue comes with full color pictures of how you SHOULD look if you would just eat this - which ends up tasting like cardboard with bad icing on it, or that which goes down about as easily as it comes back up and tastes about the same too. So at the risk of losing all contact with the outside world and losing all of these wonderful ads for cardboard, I am not renewing my subscription to Women's Health. And I like to think that I'll be saving a few skinny trees from wishing they were fat people so they didn't have to get cut down to make this magazine.

No comments: