Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Ras el Hanout Roasted Beets

So...I couldn't stay away for long, apparently. I got bored with work, so Oliver and I decided to go into the kitchen and make some lunch!

We decided to make Joy's recipe for Ras el Hanout Roasted Beets.

Ras el Hanout is a North African spice mixture, and is used in African and Moroccan food.

I had to make the Ras el Hanout mixture from scratch, as I couldn't find it at a store:



I also made a Cashew Crema to go on top, which is a vegan version of creme fresh. It is very tangy with a hint of lime, and super delicious on anything savory:



The beets were roasted in the Ras el Hanout and a mixture of garlic and various other seasonings. After they came out of the oven, I drizzled them in the Cashew Crema. Yum yum! Best lunch I've had in a while:



*********************************

As an aside, I swear Oliver is the cutest thing ever. He sees me cooking a lot, and today he's been copying me. He stole a couple of my measuring cups while I was unloading the dishwasher, and he's been sitting with his bucket of toys, measuring his cars and Star Wars figures and then dumping them into his toy bucket. He stirs it all with the flag from his Wonder Pets flyboat. Just a few minutes ago he was going around picking up every little bit of anything he could find on the floor, putting it in his measuring cup, and stirring it with the straw from his sippy cup. Crazy kid!

No comments: